Saturday, July 11, 2009

Greek Chocolate Frozen Yogurt



On Monday I decided frozen yogurt is something we always buy at the store, but that I should try to make at home. I found a nice basic recipe in Cook's Magazine that I really liked the looks of. The boys wanted me to make strawberry. I hate strawberries that are frozen in ice cream. I know. Sorry. But I don't like them all icy like that. I decided to be a little selfish and tell them that we could try the chocolate because we didn't have any strawberries. We'd get strawberries to try next.

Now, I'm a big fan of Greek yogurt, so I had that in the fridge and I figured it would be the same. Especially since the first step of the recipe had you strain the 8-oz of plain yogurt. I had 6 oz of Greek yogurt which is already strained, so I used it instead.

Let me just say... The chocolate and the bitterness of the Greek yogurt really complimented each other. It turned out tasting a lot like dark chocolate which is my FAVORITE! YUM! Too bad it is my husband's favorite too because he has eaten most of the frozen yogurt and I've only had a spoonful. That's okay though. My backside doesn't need it.

Without further ado, here is the recipe as I made it. I've made a few substitutions and it turned out wonderfully. I wish I had had the camera time marker on so you could see that the BEFORE and AFTER pictures were taken about 2 minutes apart!
Greek Chocolate Frozen Yogurt

2 6oz containters of 0% Greek Yogurt
2 tsp unflavored gelatin
1/4 c. 2% milk
1/2 c. whipping cream
1 c. 2% milk
1 cup sugar
6 Tablespoons dutch-process cocoa (I used Hershey's)
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Sprinkle gelatin over 1/4 c. milk in a small bowl. Let stand, stirring frequently until gelatin swells about 10 minutes.

2. Heat remaining milk, cream and sugar and cocoa in a small saucepan, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Do no boil. Remove pan from heat and add swelled gelatin, stirring until completely dissolved.

3. Cool milk to room temp. Add 1 tsp vanilla extract and mix in yogurt. Refrigerate mixture until cool to at least 40 degrees. Pour chilled gelatinous mixture into canister of ice cream machine. Churn until frozen. Can be served as soft frozen yogurt at this point, or can be stored in a sealed plastic container for two days before it becomes icy.
And this is the picture taken two minutes later. YUM!

1 comment:

Swistle said...

I am the same about icy strawberries--ACK.

I love that pretty cup!




Blog Widget by LinkWithin